I LOVE STRAWBERRY CAKE….
If I could live at the beach and cook all day I would be the world’s happiest person! Of course I would want my children and grandchildren to visit! BUT Seriously… cooking… I LOVE IT!
From homemade apple pies like Granny use to make to Shrimp Scampi. I try with each meal that I create to make sure to stay on a budget which sometimes can be very challenging. Thanks to many new coupon apps and my favorite stores having awesome sales I can usually come in under budget.
I think my favorite dessert to make is a strawberry cake. I use fresh strawberries and homemade whip cream, which makes a HUGE difference in the flavor. It is so moist and delicious. And it is very affordable to make.
My fiance’s daughter got married last year, when she asked me to make her cake I asked “what flavor?” Of course she wanted the strawberry. I was a little hesitant not knowing how it would hold up being a 3 tier cake. Most wedding cakes you eat are dry. You have to make sure your cup is full of punch to wash it down with. But I was going to give it my best shot to make her happy.
WOW… was it ever moist! I was in total shock… I baked the cake 2 days before the wedding, kept them in the fridge until I was ready to decorate. it held up great. All of the guests complementing on how moist it was. We took the leftovers to our home and even after 3 days later the cake was still moist. I didn’t do anything special other than keeping it covered with plastic wrap. I was so thrilled… I had found one more flavor I can use for weddings.
I usually purchase the store brand items since they are much cheaper than name brand. I can normally make this cake for around $10 unless I feel like cheating and use store bought whipped cream.
This recipe was given to my mother by a friend that she worked with. But as all my family knows I tweaked it to make it suitable to our family. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- 1 box strawberry gelatin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- 2 cups powered sugar
Cake Batter Instructions
1. Sprinkle the strawberries with sugar. Set aside and prepare rest of the batter.
2. Put the cake mix in your bowl and add gelatin. Using whisk thoroughly mix together the dry mix and gelatin as not to get lumps of gelatin once liquids are added.
3. When gathering the rest of the ingredients according to the cake mix instructions make sure to increase the eggs by one and use whole milk instead of water. This will make the cake moister.
4. In a small bowl whisk the eggs together. Add to that mixture the milk and oil. Blend together well and slowly add to the cake mix stirring constantly. If using a mixer blend about 2 or 3 mins until light and fluffy. Once your batter is ready lightly fold in the fresh strawberries. Only stirring to mix throughout the batter. Pour into greased cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 min. Cake will be done when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
5. Let cake cool completely before trying to frost.
In a bowl use your mixer to beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Slowly add powdered sugar while mixing. Continue mixing until all sugar has been blended into cream cheese. Once all sugar has been added and is blended well, stir in whipped cream. Once all ingredients have been mixed well use spatula or wooden spoon to fold in fresh strawberries.
Making sure cake has completely cooled, pour icing over cake to completely cover. Chill for 1 hour before serving. Keep refrigerated.